Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Why We Live in Maine (reprise)

After I received the billet-doux to the right from the old geezers at AARP, who send me letters all the time, demanding that I sign their petitions, I went batshit, of course, but eventually rallied and called them up. After 35 minutes it turned out that Heather's system was down but I could call back. I asked for the number to call back on, as I had been routed several times to get to the favored number. Getting that took 3 1/2 minutes (WHY DON'T YOU LOOK AT YOUR OWN FREAKING PHONE).
No hope there. Then I thought the local folks who did the MRI might have made an error in submitting the claim. A nice lady in Brunswick took the information cheerily, and said, "We'll send it in again. You should be all set." Maybe so, maybe not, but at least the exchange was quick and pleasant, and local.
  In the same mail I received a bill from Midcoast Hospital for $5. This was for the copay for an office visit to Dr. J in June. It was the second time I had been billed for a copay that I had paid in cash on the way out of the office in June. Again, a real person at the other end of the phone. Tracy said that for some reason, some of the insurance companies apply to the copay to the facility rather than to the doctor. Obviously, this stupid practice costs everyone a lot of money, but, hey, America has the best medical care in the world (what world is that, by the way?). She was pleasant, took time to joke about the system, and made me, again, very happy to live in Maine.

No comments:

Post a Comment