Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Ham

My amateur radio license is up for renewal this year, and a requirement is to have been on the air a certain number of hours. Although my equipment has languished, and the antenna has come down a few times, when I fired it up today, all was well, and I had a chat with a chap named Artie near Capetown, South Africa. (On 15 meters, Koof.) I had forgotten the magic of world-wide communication without wires. It will be easier to get back to it now, and rack up the requisite hours.
Part of the reason for my inactivity on the airwaves is the inanity of many of the American hams. Now that the sunspots are plentiful the signal goes around the world and the hobby becomes interesting again. I am becoming eager to brush up my Morse code (have practice mp3s in my mp3 player) and "work dx." [In the interest of full disclosure, I admit that I can be inane myself. ]

1 comment:

  1. What fun, Dad. South Africa! I, too, would like to re-learn Morse Code. I am pretty sure Jonas could get into it this summer. Camp Arrowsic: Where the Boys Learn Morse Code.

    Good for you!

    ReplyDelete