Friday, May 4, 2012

Bleed no more

A letter today from the Red Cross informed me that the blood I had donated last month tested positive for HCV (Hepatitis C), and although subsequent tests indicated that the first test was a false positive and I had no infection (not being a dabbler in street drugs), I would be ineligible to donate blood in the future.
I have been giving blood twice a year since 1970. I can't say it is a lot of fun, but it has always seemed worthwhile, sometimes interesting,  and I am curiously disappointed that I can't do it again. It feels like a kind of dishonorable discharge, though I did nothing wrong, and my blood was almost certainly the pristine A+ it has always been.

Ah, well, time to look for another thing to donate. Hmmmm

1 comment:

  1. I also got bumped from their list due to travel. I blame Ayesha, as it was her wedding in Mexico that did me in. It's sort of maddening. I guess it's the right policy. Glad to hear, of course, that you aren't Hep C positive, however. ;)

    ReplyDelete