Saturday, January 5, 2013

Woof woof

If you are not a nerd, stop reading right now. 
Frustrated by the incredible slowness of Windows XP (a problem which is now solved, and if it is your problem, let me know and I will help you), I decided to try a Linux distribution on my old Toshiba laptop. We have rescued two of Emily's laptops with Ubuntu, and I thought it would be a good idea to try again. However, I did not wish to lose XP, as I have several useful programs on the machine, and I have used it for tax returns that I need to carry forward. So a "dual boot" was required. I found Puppy Linux, which is small, and boots fast from a CD, and is lightning fast. The old Celeron is happy as a hog in excrement. And so am I.

4 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration, and also a dren.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What impetulent sisters I have. I am inspired by this story, especially since I have recently invested 6+ hours in google research to see why my HP Touchpad has "bricked". This resulted in me stealing Suzanne's USB stick to download Ubuntu to use to dfu-util the TP and identify that the a6 chip firmware has become corrupted. Now, although this sounds bleak, it is what I was hoping for and will attempt to IRC a new "friend" tonight so that he can walk me through how to flash the a6. Fingers crossed.

    Take that, sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. er...petulant. But impetulant sounds better...more onomatopoeiatic, somehow.

    ReplyDelete