Saturday, February 2, 2013

Touching glory

When I was a freshman at Moorestown High School, I played center on the freshman basketball team. Several times the varsity coach, Pete Monska, brought me up to practice to lean on the varsity center, who was about my height. His name was Dave "Lefty" Robinson, and he was the best rebounder I ever saw. That Moorestown team won a couple of state titles -- it was very exciting. Being brushed aside by Dave Robinson was as close as I came to basketball prowess. Oh, wait, I once went to stand by Wilt Chamberlain in the Philadelphia airport. Wilt was almost a foot taller than Lefty, but not his equal in ferocity. Today,  Dave Robinson was elected to the pro football Hall of Fame. A thrill.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this story. Almost as much as I loved your story of the paper route. These are true keepers. Perhaps you could could create a package of such stories from boyhood?

    ReplyDelete